How DSN Democratises AI Knowledge, Records 25 major Milestones in 2 years
In the spirit of today’s democracy day and inauguration for a second term tenure of the President Muhamadu Buhari led government, by the way, “Happy democracy Day!, the convener of the Data Science Nigeria (www.datasciencenigeria.org), Bayo Adekanmbi has declared that the foundation has largely been able to democratise AI knowledge in Nigeria and Africa by extension.
According to the DSN Convener who is also the Chief Transformation Officer, MTN Nigeria, in a statement published on the DSN website, “the foundation is humbled to have built an end-to-end Artificial Intelligence knowledge DEMOCRATISATION in Nigeria with Pan-Nigeria outreach, a global network of experts & outstanding proofs”.
Declaring that, “Nations are built when citizens build skills of the future”, the Convener of the two years old DSN Foundation, added, “We believe that in 10 years, Nigeria will become one of the top 10 AI talent/knowledge destinations with 20% GDP multiplier impact” as its cardinal vision and objective.
While maintaining a sharp focus on this big picture for the country and Africa in general, DSN Foundation celebrates 25 milestones on its journey to achieving its laudable vision.
“Our drive is to accelerate Nigeria’s development through the solution-oriented application of machine learning to solving social/business problems and to galvanize a data science knowledge revolution”, Mr. Adekanmbi declared.
“We humbly celebrate some of these milestones below”, the publication intoned, in the drive to achieve the vision of raising 1 million AI talents in 10 years. These include:
• 300,000+ direct download of our Artificial Intelligence for Starter free ebook to stimulate interest in AI through use cases and inspirational contribution from leading AI experts including recognized leaders like Prof Yoshua Bengio
• 10,212 participated in the 1st ever Intercampus Machine Learning competition that involved 95 universities and a great opportunity to incentivize Nigerian students to learn Introduction to Machine Learning with Python, R and MS Azure
• 12,234 online participants in Data Science course – from registration to at least one class
• Over 1,000 have participated in our face to face classes via fully residential all-expense-paid bootcamp, free meet-ups and weekly classes at the AI Hub
• 203 direct job placement, project participation and internship
• 4 innovative product ideas that are being pre-incubated
• The largest convergence of academia and industry practitioners as mentors to support real-world application of learning
• High impact learning bootcamps, academic engagement and direct job placements (full time, freelance and internships) for young Nigerian data scientists
• Strategic partnership with leading firms and organisations including Microsoft, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, KPMG, Access Bank, BlueChip Technology, Nigerian Bureau of Statistics, Proshare, FCMB Bank, Axa Mansard Interswitch, etc.
Data Science Nigeria is a non-profit driven by a vision to build a world-class Artificial Intelligence knowledge, research and innovation ecosystem that delivers high impact research, business use applications, locally-relevant AI-first start-ups, increase employability and drive for social good use cases.